So yet another couple in Kwanghee and Sunhwa leaves MBC TV ‘We Got Married‘ whatever season on April 13th, and the television ratings falls as we are told.
But were we expecting anything else generally?
Since the departure of the first generation of couples from the show, the formula has largely remained the same.
1) Whip up frenzy in media that new couples are being scouted.
2) Rumors aplenty whether fake or true on who is pairing with who.
3) Denial by stars’ management agency and MBC TV.
4) Confirmation by management agency and MBC TV.
5) Fans or viewers get excited and start getting invested in the couple.
6) Missions largely the same throughout because there are really so ‘many’ things you can really do as a make-believe couple.
7) Rumours spread that they are leaving, but denial again. Usually takes a few months.
8) Confirmation by MBC TV and agencies that their leaving is done and dusted a few days or weeks later.
9) Realization sets in as final episode is aired, fans get upset, and ratings drop.
* Rinse and repeat from the top
So regardless, MBC TV doesn’t really care because they don’t really have an alternative to this, and they are happy with the ratings I guess. In addition, they are thinking that it is a very successful formula, since they have the global edition that is airing in so many countries all over the world through Sony Pictures Entertainment Network Asia.
It’s only entertainment ultimately, so just take it easy.